Chrome has support for multiple profiles. What differentiates one profile from the other is the Google account that is (or isn’t) connected to a profile.
Users can create a new Chrome profile and sync it with their Google account, or they can skip adding an account and keep everything local. What a user cannot do is create a profile that has no name.
Change Chrome profile name
The Chrome profile name is set when it’s created and users can’t proceed without it. The data for each profile is kept separate so it stands to reason that the name is incredibly important.
While a profile name is important, it isn’t set in stone. A profile name is a user-friendly way for users to identify their profiles when they switch between them. Chrome allocates numbers e.g. Profile1, Profile2, Profile3 etc to identify a profile and its folder.
What all this means is, you can change the Chrome profile name.
- Open Chrome.
- Click the profile icon at the top right.
- From the list of profiles, select the profile you want to rename. If it’s the current profile, you can skip steps 2 and 3.
- On the Chrome window of the profile, click the more options button at the top right.
- Select Settings.
- On the You and Google section at the top, click Chrome Name and Picture.
- Click inside the name field.
- Change/edit the name.
- Go back or close the browser window.
- Restart Chrome.
- The profile name will be updated.
Change Chrome profile picture
While the above option claims to let you change the Chrome profile picture, it does so in a limited way. You can select a picture from presets but you cannot select a picture from your desktop.
To set a custom profile picture in Chrome;
- Sign in to your Gmail account.
- Change the Gmail account profile picture to the one you want to use in Chrome.
- Open Chrome.
- Go to Chrome’s settings.
- If sync is On, turn it Off.
- Once the sync has been turned off, turn it on again.
- The profile picture will be updated immediately.
Note: unless you enable Chrome sync on Chrome, you cannot set a custom profile picture. The new profile picture can sometimes take a little time to sync to Chrome.
Chrome, for some odd reason, doesn’t offer much in terms of profile customization. It’s a browser so there isn’t much of a profile a user will want to maintain but it is still very restrictive.