Among Us is a game that’s played with a keyboard and mouse on a Windows 10 PC. This makes sense given that players need to participate in a group chat to determine who is and isn’t an imposter. Outside the chat, there are tasks that need to be done via a mouse so again, it’s necessary to play the game with a mouse.
A keyboard is needed when you enter Chat, and a mouse is needed when you perform tasks but for navigation/player movement, reporting a kill, killing a crewmate, and other in-game features, a controller can be used. The trick is knowing how to set it up.
Play Among Us with a Controller
We’re going to demonstrate how you can play Among Us with an Xbox Controller. You can probably use similar settings if you have a PS4 controller.
The controller will be configured via Steam’s controller configuration. If you’ve bought Among Us from outside Steam, add it to your library to use Steam’s controller configuration.
You will still need the mouse and keyboard for certain parts of the game and there is no way around it. You will, however, be able to use the controller to walk around, kill, report kills, call meetings, etc.
This is for the PC/desktop version of the game and NOT for the mobile versions of the game. You do not need an emulator of any sort set up.
Import controller layout
We’re not going to be setting up an entirely new layout. Instead, we’re going to import a layout, and then modify it.
- Make sure Steam is installed and running on your system.
- Access this link and open the Steam client to preview the configuration.
- Click the Apply Configuration button.
Modify imported controller configuration
- Once applied, click the ‘Joystick Mouse’ controls that are set to ‘Left Mouse’.
- Change the Style of input to ‘Directional pad’.
- Change the Layout to ‘4 way (no overlap)’
- Click the individual buttons on the virtual controller map that you see and map them to the up, down, left, and right arrow keys.
- Click Back and then Done.
Change Among Us in-game controls
You now need to make one final change to Among Us and you’ll be able to use the controller comfortably in the game.
- Open Steam.
- Go to Library.
- Select Among Us and click Play.
- Click the cogwheel button at the bottom of the game’s welcome/home screen.
- On the General tab, select Mouse+Keyboard.
- Enter a game and you will be able to walk, vent, sabotage, kill, report kills, and call emergency meetings all with the controller.
Among Us cannot be played with just a controller because of the tasks. On mobile devices, users have a touch screen which makes up for the lack of a mouse. The keyboard is only needed when you have to enter Chat. The controller will allow you to rely less on a keyboard and it will likely make the game easier to play.