Steam games can be small (a few hundred MB), or they can be large (several GBs). The great thing about a game that’s been purchased from Steam is that any achievements you earn are backed up online, and you can easily save gameplay by backing up the folder for a game. Additionally, Steam allows users to install a game on any drive. It doesn’t necessarily have to be installed on the same drive that Steam is installed on. All this means that you can easily manage space on your drives. That said, players often uninstall games they no longer play, or that they’ve completed.
Uninstall a Steam game
There are three different methods you can use to uninstall a Steam game however, none of these methods include taking a back up of the game. If you do not want to lose game progress, back the games up first, and then proceed with the uninstallation.
1. Uninstall game from Steam client
A Steam game can be uninstalled directly from the Steam client. This will apply only to Steam games and not non-Steam games that you’ve added to your Steam library.
- Open the Steam app.
- Go to Library.
- In the column on the left, look for the game you want to uninstall, and right-click it.
- From the context menu, go to Manage>Uninstall.
- The game will be uninstalled and in most cases, it’s folder will be deleted to.
- Open File Explorer and navigate to the Steam folder.
- Go to
Steam\steamapps\commonand delete the folder for the game you just uninstalled, if it’s still there.
2. Uninstall game from Settings app
Some Steam games and all non-Steam games can be uninstalled from the Settings app on Windows 10.
- Open the Settings app (Win +I keyboard shortcut).
- Go to the Apps.
- Look for the game you want to uninstall, and select it.
- Click the Uninstall button.
- Once the game has been uninstalled, you have to manually delete its folder from the Steam Library folder.
3. Uninstall game from Control Panel
This will work for some Steam games and all non-Steam games with the exception of games installed from the Microsoft Store. The Control Panel may be removed completely in the Fall 2020 update of Windows 10, in which case this method will be obsolete.
- Open File Explorer.
- Paste the following in the location bar, and tap Enter.
Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features
- Go through the list of apps, and find the game you want to remove.
- Select the game, and click the Uninstall button.
- Once uninstalled, check your Steam folder and your Steam Library folder for residual folders left by the game, and delete them.